Friday, November 11, 2011

New books:

Two great books we ordered from the Gecko Press in Wellington (thanks to Grandma Prue for enabling this), a good quality press of some great children's picture books from around the world and NZ:

The Fierce Little Woman and The Wicked Pirate by Joy Cowley:


I haven't seen this book since I was a primary schooler so it was a great discovery as this was a memorable book for me and I thought T and C would love it too and and sure enough, they do. Books arrived on Thurs and have been read at least 6 times since. It's true to the quote via Gecko Press, "an absolutely delightful picture book, this is a story to be read again and again and again. (Be warned!)". After I read it the first time there was a pause and then "can we read it again?"... and again? ...


And Dinosaurs Galore by Masayubi Sebe.


A fun, interesting, colourful and intelligent puzzle book. Says recommended for ages 7+ but Timo and Caoimhe are quite enthralled with it so I would say it's good for slightly younger also.
The Children's Bookshop in Kilbirnie says, "created to develop cognitive skills and problem solving, the emphasis on making the whole experience fun".